9/08/2008

Ice Cream & Cake Social

Tonight I attended an Ice Cream & Cake Social put on by the Carbondale Park District at their city residence the Hickory Lodge. I think it was mainly for senior citizens, because thats all who showed up, but I think it was open to anyone. There was free cake, cookies, pie, ice cream, popcorn and lemonade along with a live performance by keyboardist Bob Pina.

This lady, Sharon Helea, with her guy friend Ed Crawford, were the first ones to get up and dance and were very willing to have their picture taken. She also happened to mention that she's one of the longest-surviving people with the disorder Variegate Porphyria, a disorder that makes her skin extremely sensitive to sunlight. She said the Southern did a story on her in '86, but haven't since, and said I could come visit her and spend time with her and take pictures of her anytime I want. I may focus on her and produce a picture story about her for my advanced PJ class.
This lady was nice and told me her name, Lavina Thomas, even after I had admitted to having taken a picture of her laughing.

This couple, Joan and Dick Grammer, showed up everyone on the 'dance floor' with fancy spinny moves and dips. They were nice but not quite as willing, I dont think, to have their picture taken.

This guy was pretty cool, Charles Endres, 86 of Carbondale, who got the activities manager/bus driver from Prairie Living Supportive Living Center to dance with him and even wear his WWII veteran hat. 

This guy played the music. His name's Bob Pina and he gave me a few funny looks when I was taking shots of him playing, but was nice and introduced himself later on. He played a piano voice mostly but added in all kinds of percussion and drum beats so it was pretty swingin'.

-TB

No comments: