1/11/2008

a wee bit o' research


Yes I was doing a wee bit of research this morning after my morning jog at about 915 am, and according to NUTRITIONDATA.COM, a person of my size even living a sedentary lifestyle but running two 9-minute miles everyday burns around 4,000 calories in a day. According to the same site, it takes about 3,500 calories to gain or lose one pound of body fat.

So, if you consume 3,500 more calories than your body uses, you gain a pound, and if you consume 3,500 calories less than your body uses, you lose a pound. THEORETICALLY, that means if I consume only 500 calories per day and continue running 2 miles everyday, I should be able to lose one pound of fat per day.

Since I've been on my strict diet and exercise plan for about a week now and I've lost about 5-6 pounds, that sounds almost accurate. Especially since I've been consuming more like 650-750 calories a day, I burn less than a pound in a day, but not much less.

Of course, as my body size decreases, the amount of calories I burn per day will decrease. For instance, if I weighed 200 pounds right now instead of 299, I would only be burning 3,240 calories in a day, even with running two 9-minute miles daily, in which case I would have to eat absolutely nothing and burn an extra 300 calories doing something else to lose a pound in that day. Ah, the marvels of the human body!

Fortunately, probably for the first time since I've been here, there wasn't any wind in Hutchinson this morning. Really, 0 mph. So, I ran a little faster and got my 9-minute mile, but tired myself out a little more. Yesterday, there was 35 mph wind and my first mile was a little less than 11 minutes. Either way, it was 24 degrees both days and it just feels like so much more of a bitch to run in 24-degree weather than it does with a nice 60 to 70-degree summer night. Running when it's about 90 degrees out is the worst though. FYI.

That's my interesting research. Believe it or not. Im showing less on the scale every morning, so I'm happy. I'll put up geese pictures and other pictures I may take today tonight. I think I'm going to a HHS Homecoming BBall game. Should be . . . loud.

TB

No comments: