10/21/2007

football, soccer, baseball

SIU vs. MSU

Add to My Profile | More Videos

This is an extremly low-quality version of the video put up on siude.com today, the one I shot with my video camera mounted on top of my 300. Myspace isn't very large-file-friendly, so I couldn't get a better looking one on there without it taking a week. But, there's one on he DE website, so check it out.

I had to go shoot a soccer tournament kind of thing today, that had lots of issues. It was an international soccer tournament with only a Latino team, a Saudi team and an African team left. The African team had lost to the "Latino Alliance" but complained that they had been playing with players not registered on their original roster, so the Alliance got disqualified, leaving just the African and Saudi teams, but then the Saudi team forfeited the final match because they wanted to play the real winners, not a team that had complained their way to the top. So, the African team received the trophy by default, as illustrated in today's main art:Then the Saudi United and Latino Alliance teams decided to have their own unofficial match to settle who the 'real' winner was. So, after I had returned from the trophy thing and I was trying to work on photos, they sent me out again to get shots of the Saudi-Latino game. The Saudis were kicking A and beat the Alliance 3-1. They didn't run a photo from the game though. Sad, too, cuz I was tellin this guy Husam that I was gonna get him a copy of the paper...

The Sports page today was all mine. It was a good day for football photos, and Sean the sports editor wants me to shoot next weekend's game the same way I shot this one, still and video. Next time, we'll get some real audio commentary next time, though.
Also had a scanner call today that a girl had been hit by a car while she was crossing 51 on her bike. Luckily, the car was only turning and wasn't driving full-speed or anything. She made it through the ordeal with only a few scrapes and was more upset to have made a scene than to have been run over. She refused to talk to our reporter and refused to go to the hospital with the ambulance, but I still took pictures. None of them ran in the paper.

I did a portrait this week of a guy named Christian Spears who works at the Compliance Office of SIU Athletics. We did a few shots like this with various signs and banners and things in the background, but this one came out the best. He's a cool guy and he introduced me to some of the SIU basketball players. I also ran into him at the football game and had a quick chat.
And, THE RED SOX ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!! Boston destroyed the Indians 11-2 at home at Fenway, bringing the series totals of runs to 30 and 5. It's amazing Cleveland won the 3 games that they did. Everyone on the team kicked ass and the Indians had tons of errors and totally couldn't control the ball. Now, all we have to worry about is 4 games against the Colorado Rockies, and I'm hoping it won't be as bad as playing Cleveland.


TB

No comments: