10/04/2007

pumpkins

So I'm pretty sure the only picture I'm going to have in the paper tomorrow is this picture of these pumpkins. Thats right, pumpkins. Wanna fight about it? But really, I was told about this story at about midnight last night and apparently there's some sort of shortage in pumpkin crops around here, like a 30% decrease or something from last year and I was told about this pumpkin patch that's about 40 miles away and also Kroger had a pumpkin/mums display. Between my two classes i had today, I couldn't really fit a 2-3 hour trip to the pumpkin patch, so I ended up going to Kroger. Maybe if I had more time like the weekend or something I'd be able to make some great pictures from the story, but it just wasn't gonna happen this time.

So I convinced Brent from Kroger Management that the story had nothing to do with Kroger and that I was only there because they happen to have some pumpkins out front. He was cool with it so i went out and got some sweet glamour shots of pumpkins and no one came by. No one was shopping for pumpkins. or mums. I was out there for like 20 mins and no one came up to this display and I didn't think it quite ethical to find someone to come pose like theyre shopping for pumpkins, so I left with pumpkin-only shots.

I also had a pumpkin shot like this one. Ryan was making fun of my pumpkin pictures and calling me the pumpkin man and telling me to do all these impossible things because he knew I didnt have time like telling me he wanted me to go out and find a pumpkin patch with a beautiful sunset behind it and lots of pumpkins and I said ok how about a pumpkin hot air balloon flyin through the background and he said yeah get that too. So I decided to turn this picture into the best pumpkin picture ever and it came out

kinda looking like this. We printed out a picture of it and showed lots of people my awesome pumpkin photo and they didn't even know it wasn't a real photo. Like Jordan, the EIC, was like ' yeah we can run it on the front page ' and me and Ryan had to break the news that it was a doctored photo. Then he said we could run it as a photo illustration lol. But i told him that probably wouldnt work since the images were found on flickr and yahoo image search.


By the way, if you search 'pumpkin hot air balloon' in yahoo images, it comes up with a warning that says the results may contain adult material. I didn't look at the results.. yet.. it makes you wonder what kinds of things people have done involving pumpkins and/or hot air balloons and/or pumpkin hot air balloons.

I GOT MY 20D TODAY! It was amazing, too, because as soon as I had got home from class/work this morning at about 11, the mail guy was coming into the main office place by our mailboxes and he had a package that looked like a camera would be shipped in it and I went over like ' thats not for me, is it?? ' and it was! and i was like booyah lemme sign for that and i had to sign this book they keep for all packages receieved and took it up to get it out. So, i couldnt've got it any sooner than I did, which made me happy cuz then I got to go take pictures of pumpkins with it.

So I haven't got to shoot anything super cool with it yet, but i did take a few pictures when I was once again walking home from work at about 6:30pm today, when the sun was setting and lighting up all the campus buildings on the west side.


Nothing too spectacular, but I love the screen on it and its 8 megapixelness and how it makes my telephoto lenses longer and it uses the same batteries as my Digital Rebel did, so I have like 4 now, along with two chargers, so that's always convenient.

I plan to again go to Cairo tomorrow and I'll probably have to go a few times this weekend because it's the Cairo Riverboat Days, kind of like a festival thing where I ought to take lots of good pictures with my new 20d. So, check back for marvelous 20D image updates!

TB

No comments: